Government Agencies and Councils

Decision, recommendation, action or inaction

Departments and statutory authorities within the Ombudsman's jurisdiction include:

  • All NT Government departments
  • Public schools
  • Public hospitals
  • Government transport services
  • Police, Fire and Emergency Services
  • Power Water / Jacana Energy
  • Darwin Port Corporation
  • Charles Darwin University
  • Batchelor Institute of Indigenous Tertiary Education
  • Local Government Councils

A complaint may be made about any decision, recommendation, action or inaction by a department, agency or local government council within the Ombudsman's jurisdiction. For example, you may complain about the process a department used to make a decision, delay in taking any action, any requirement which a department has placed on you which you believe is unreasonable, a harsh or wrong decision or any other action by the department.

There are certain matters about which the Ombudsman cannot consider complaints. Among these are decisions of courts or tribunals, complaints about employment matters and actions of Ministers of the Crown. However for an agency within jurisdiction, virtually any action taken by the agency may be within the Ombudsman's jurisdiction.

Start online complaint